Apologies, but no results were found.
- Declared Port Vila land owners visit President July 22, 2018On Monday last week the declared custom land owners of the land Port Vila town has been built on met President Obed Tallis to officially inform him of the declaration. The declaration was reportedly made in May last year by the Efate Island Court last year. The declared custom land owners from Erakor, Eratap, Pango […]wantok
- Chief Worwor expresses concerns about upcoming chiefs elections June 6, 2018The caretaker President of the Port Vila Town Council of Chiefs and member of the caretaker Malvatumauri council of chiefs has raised concerns about what he said was a new method being introduced for election of Malvatumauri, island councils of chiefs and the two urban councils of chiefs due next month. All the councils of chiefs […]wantok
- Melanesia and Western Colonialism May 30, 2018Melanesia is a region of the southwestern Pacific Ocean and forms, together with Micronesia and Polynesia, one of the three cultural areas of Oceania. Melanesia includes New Guinea, the Torres Strait Islands of northern Australia, the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, and the Fiji Islands. The name Melanesia derives from Greek words meaning black islands […]wantok
- Pacific islanders may carry the DNA of an unknown human species: Genetic study reveals ancient Melanesians interbred with a mysterious hominid May 22, 2018Pacific islanders may carry the DNA of an unknown human species: Genetic study reveals ancient Melanesians interbred with a mysterious hominid Islanders in the Pacific Ocean may be may be carrying traces of a long lost human species locked up in their DNA. Today, modern humans inherit a small chunk of our genes from Neanderthals, […]wantok
- Rank and Status in Polynesia and Melanesia: Introduction May 22, 2018Introduction Jean Guiart p. 7-8 TEXT AUTHOR FULL TEXT Source: http://books.openedition.org 1Douglas Oliver m'est arrivé à Nouméa, un jour de la fin de 1949 si je ne m'abuse, alors que je peinais dans le démarrage d'une carrière scientifique à partir d'une formation reçue à une époque fertile en orages. Après Radcliffe-Brown vu à Paris en 1947, c'était le […]wantok
- Tahitian Words for Race and Class May 22, 2018Paul Kay p. 81-93 TEXT BIBLIOGRAPHY NOTES AUTHORILLUSTRATIONS FULL TEXT Source: http://books.openedition.org/ 1The system of meanings underlying Tahitian words for racial/social categories is examined and compared to the results of similar studies on the corresponding lexical domain in the Portuguese of Brazil. The principal theoretical conclusion is that, while a distinctive feature (or componential analysis) model of lexical structure […]wantok
- Tahitian Folk Medicine May 22, 2018Antony Hooper p. 61-80 TEXT BIBLIOGRAPHY NOTES AUTHOR FULL TEXT Source: http://books.openedition.org/ 1This paper is an ethnographic account of the Tahitian concept of ma'i'sickness', and is based on field research in the Iles sous-le-vent. The first section outlines the four major categories of ma'i commonly distinguished by Tahitians - Injury, True sickness, Ghost sickness and Retribution sickness - and the principles which underlie […]wantok