Apologies, but no results were found.
- The Effects of Colonial Mentality on Filipino-American Mental Health September 8, 2019By Kubo Guest Writers - By Joriene Mercado In a survey of San Diego public high school students, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention reported that a striking 45.6% of Filipino-American female adolescents have thought about committing suicide, which was the highest rate among all ethnic groups in this study (Wolf, 1997). Data collected by the Los […]wantok
- What Is a Colonized Mind? September 8, 2019England was once so proud of its colonial regime that it boasted, “The sun never sets on the British empire.” Today, colonialism is a bad word. It is fashionable to say we live in a ‘post-colonial’ world. The truth is the world continues to involve relations of domination and exploitation, under new names: “globalization,” for […]wantok
- Indonesia is an “imagined community”, Melanesia is a REAL community!… BUT… September 8, 2019A Melanesian Dilemma It is a human tragedy today is that "the REAL Melanesian community think they are unreal, and then they believe and treat the "unreal Indonesian community" as a real one, They think un-real Indonesia poses real threats and danger, that therefore it is a sensitive issue that should be treated cautiously. They […]wantok
- Declared Port Vila land owners visit President July 22, 2018On Monday last week the declared custom land owners of the land Port Vila town has been built on met President Obed Tallis to officially inform him of the declaration. The declaration was reportedly made in May last year by the Efate Island Court last year. The declared custom land owners from Erakor, Eratap, Pango […]wantok
- Chief Worwor expresses concerns about upcoming chiefs elections June 6, 2018The caretaker President of the Port Vila Town Council of Chiefs and member of the caretaker Malvatumauri council of chiefs has raised concerns about what he said was a new method being introduced for election of Malvatumauri, island councils of chiefs and the two urban councils of chiefs due next month. All the councils of chiefs […]wantok
- Melanesia and Western Colonialism May 30, 2018Melanesia is a region of the southwestern Pacific Ocean and forms, together with Micronesia and Polynesia, one of the three cultural areas of Oceania. Melanesia includes New Guinea, the Torres Strait Islands of northern Australia, the Solomon Islands, Vanuatu, New Caledonia, and the Fiji Islands. The name Melanesia derives from Greek words meaning black islands […]wantok
- Pacific islanders may carry the DNA of an unknown human species: Genetic study reveals ancient Melanesians interbred with a mysterious hominid May 22, 2018Pacific islanders may carry the DNA of an unknown human species: Genetic study reveals ancient Melanesians interbred with a mysterious hominid Islanders in the Pacific Ocean may be may be carrying traces of a long lost human species locked up in their DNA. Today, modern humans inherit a small chunk of our genes from Neanderthals, […]wantok